Nunney Pre-School has been rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted, the government organisation responsible for inspecting schools.
In March of this year the pre-school required improvement in each of the categories Effectiveness of the leadership and management, Quality of teaching, learning and assessment, Personal development, behaviour and welfare, and Outcomes for children at the time, according to Ofsted. Nunney Pre-School had been rated ‘Good’ in its previous inspection.
This time Nunney Pre-School was rated ‘Good’ in each category. The inspection report notes that:
- Leaders and staff have made good improvements since the last inspection. Detailed action plans, and guidance, have supported staff well to improve the quality of their teaching and interactions. Children make good progress in their learning.
- Leaders and staff work effectively to support children who are learning English as an additional language. For example, children really benefit from bilingual support workers to help them to build their vocabulary and to communicate in their home languages.
- Staff support children to understand how to learn to assess risks and keep themselves safe. For instance, they encourage children to be mindful that resources left on the floor could be trip hazards.
- Children develop close and affectionate relationships with staff and feel secure. Staff support children to develop high levels of confidence and self-esteem thorough their effective encouragement and reassurance, which supports their readiness to learn.
- Leaders and staff have not fully established methods of sharing information with parents to enable them to support children’s learning at home.
- Staff do not consistently organise some activities they lead effectively to maintain children’s learning without disruptions, meaning occasionally some children become restless and unsettled.
Ofsted inspector June Robinson also made recommendations for further improvements:
- enhance partnerships with parents to involve them in supporting their children’s learning at home
- review the organisation of the activities staff lead to ensure all children remain motivated to continue to take part and sustain their interest
All inspection reports for Nunney First School are available on the Ofsted website.