>
Last updated: Fri 25 Dec 2015

Fire destroys pub food storage

A fire on Christmas Eve destroyed an outbuilding at The George at Nunney in which thousands of pounds worth of frozen foods were stored.

A fire engine from Frome found the wooden shed well alight on arrival around 9pm and immediately requested additional support because burning shed was close to the guest accommodation.

A cattle farm, belonging to Adrian Bullus, is also located close to the fire.

The situation was quickly brought under control, but all contents of the shed were lost.

The outbuilding housed freezers and washing machines as well as gardening and DIY tools. Early indications are that a faulty washing machine was the cause of the fire.

The George at Nunney is part of the Wadworth Brewery chain, which certified electric systmes at The George only recently as part of a routine inspection.

The George is fully booked over the Christmas and New Year period. Owner Gordon Hedges told Visit Nunney that the fire was not expected to cause problems for guests.

“Our team made new canapés this morning so that no one will miss out at Christmas dinner today,” he added.

Insurance is expected to cover the damage.

Last month faulty plumbing caused a major flood problem in The George, with estimated damage estimated to run into tens of thousands of pounds.

pub image

image

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
book
exhibitions
interviews

Events