>
Last updated: Fri 25 Oct 2013

Nunney Parish Council minutes for October 2013

Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held at Dallimore Mead Hall Monday, 7 October 2013 at 7.30pm.

Nunney Parish CouncilPresent: Ken Lloyd (Chairman); Mesdames Beresford, Capstick-Dale, Ellis, Hannam; Messrs Allom, Gaunt, Hayden, Sanderson. Also present: Ms B Palmer (Clerk).

In attendance: Cllr Gloria Cawood (part); Jeff Smith, Nunney Flower Show (part); Roger Bell, NCA (part)

1. Apologies for absence
‒ Pia McGee (delayed). Mr Masters did not attend.

2. Declarations of Interest
– None declared.

3. Old QuarryGardens

i) Maintenance. Historically the Flower Show have undertaken the general maintenance of the borders and shrubs, but Mr Smith explained the number of
volunteers has now dwindled meaning that not much can be done.

Cllr Cawood and Ian Sanderson arrived.

It was agreed by all present that maintenance is needed, and this was discussed at length. Setting up a separate committee was discussed, which Mr Smith volunteered to Chair; Ms Beresford agreed to act as Secretary and Mr Bell said he would find a representative from the NCA. Mb Beresford said she will arrange a meeting to discuss actions and their costs. Action: JB.

ii) Import of top soil.

Mr Smith advised that top soil is needed to top up the borders and this could be obtained from householders in the village who are undertaking building works. However it was noted that an exemption is required from the Environment Agency to bring in “waste” and the Clerk was asked to make the relevant application. Action: Clerk.

Mr Smith and Mr Bell left the Meeting.

The Chairman invited Cllr Cawood to speak. She presented her October report and explained that there are not enough Planning Officers at Mendip which is causing a problem.

4. Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council 2nd September 2013

These were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

5. Matters arising therefrom
– Nil.

6. Clerks Report & Items for Information
– noted.

  • Letters & emails
    – As directed at the Meeting 2-9-13.
  • Allotments
    ‒ Ted Bradley is the new Allotment Coordinator. The waiting list has been cleared and a plot holders plan/contact list received; Committee meeting planned for 10-10-13.
  • Dallimore Mead
    ‒ Refurbishment of bench pending.
  • MDC Community Environment Fund
    ‒ Grant of £312 is being made towards the new football facilities, and the Clerk has signed and returned the Award Agreement. See Item 13 ii.
  • Document storage
    ‒ No second-hand filing cabinets available, so it was agreed that a new one can be purchased.
  • SCC
    ‒ Catharine Goldsmith has been awarded a “Chairman’s Award for Service to the Community”.
  • Rural Services Network
    petition asking the government to improve funding provisions to rural areas was left in Spar, but just two people signed.
  • Nunney Brook ‒
    The weir is to be repaired in early October.
  • Burial Ground
    ‒ Interment 24-9-13. Maintenance items are on the Clerk’s to do list.
  • Clerk’s Leave
    ‒12-27 October inclusive.

7. Correspondence
– noted.

  • Gloria Cawood
    (by email, forwarded to Councillors) ‒ District Councillor’s September report.
  • MDC
    (by email, forwarded to Councillors) ‒ Details of a new planning computer system
  • TSB
    ‒ Update on changes to bank name (was Lloyds TSB).
  • Learning Southwest
    (by email, forwarded to Councillors) ‒ Details of one-day conference on youth working in Taunton on 19-10-13. Ian Sanderson will attend and it was agreed that the Council will pay his mileage costs.
  • MDC
    (by email, forwarded to councillors) ‒ Link to the Parishes Information Bulletin.
  • Rural Services Network
    (by email) ‒ EBulletins forwarded to Councillors as available.
  • Avon & Somerset Police
    (by email x2) ‒ Details of break-in and theft at stables at North Brewham.
  • Request
    for an allotment from a Nunney resident ‒ forwarded to the Co-ordinator.
  • Mendip Community Transport
    ‒ Update on activities to 31-3-13 (supported over 340 organisations, travelled 375,000 miles and made 71,024 single passenger journeys). The request for a grant was not approved.
  • SCC
    (by email, forwarded to Councillors) ‒ Details of the third round of Local Choices events, Mendip’s in 6pm-9pm on 21-10-13 at Shepton Mallet. Noted, but no one can attend.
  • SCC
    (by email, forwarded to IS, KL) ‒ Details of Somerset Youth and Community Service’s “Ignite!” project; this is aimed at supporting councils to meet young people to talk.
  • Somerset Waste
    (by email, forwarded to Councillors) ‒ Changes to refuse collections for Bank Holidays 2013/2014.
  • Frome TC
    (by email) ‒ Information supplied in respect of a budgie show in Nunney.
  • Frome TC
    (by email) ‒ Enquiry about a street light problem in Dallimore Mead between numbers 32 & 35. This is neither MDC nor SCC, problem referred to Aster.
  • Street light on Berry Hill
    ‒ Complaint that the street light is obscured by vegetation; reported to SCC by the Clerk.
  • SALC
    (by email, forwarded to Councillors) ‒ Details of training courses.
  • Nunney Flower Show & Church Committees
    ‒ Invitation to enter the Christmas Tree Festival 6-8 December ‒ no Council entry planned.

8. Flooding and Drainage
Works to the sewers from Market Place to Frome Road are planned from 21st October for up to two weeks; road closures on High Street and Church Street will apply.

9. Grit Bin for Ridgeway
Purchase of grit bin was agreed; this will be positioned near Post Box Cottage.

10. Market Place
i) Removal of telegraph pole. The Clerk is waiting to hear when the work will be done.

ii) Bus shelter. A quote for £813.13 has been received to disconnect the live cable. This was felt to be expensive and Mr Gaunt will contact the bus company to
see if it is their responsibility. Action. JG.

iii) Road markings. Painting of cross hatching at Nunney Bridge, Market Place and Horn Street will take place in the next 90 days.

iv) Finger post. Repainting will cost £270. After discussions it was agreed to add this to the plan for improvements in the Market Place.

v) Once the telegraph pole and bus shelter are removed it was agreed that the Working Group (KL, SE, JG, AA) will focus on a plan for improvements. Holding a
competition for ideas was discussed and thought to be a good idea.

11. Neighbourhood Plan
Mendip does not provide any assistance for producing a Neighbourhood Plan. The Community Council for Somerset will assist, but they charge for their services. The Clerk was asked to find out if any workshops on producing Neighbourhood Plans are available. Action: Clerk.

12. Recreational Facilities
i) Playground
Mr Gaunt has not been able to get a further quote, and it was agreed to use the two quotes already obtained.

ii) Football area above the Village Hall
The options were discussed and it was agree go ahead and purchase 5-a-side goals (12’x4’) from GB Sport & Leisure (£1066.80 inc VAT). Action: Clerk.

13. Website
Some updating has been done.

14. Youth Club
Mr Sanderson advised that he has spoken to others in the village on this. It was suggested that the NCA could be helpful with support.

15. Finance
Transferred to the current account: £1,000 on 2-9-13.

i) Accounts for Payment:

  • Cheque 1227 ‒ £377.59 Beverley Palmer (Clerk’s salary Sept 2013 & admin costs £15.19)
  • Cheque 1228 ‒ £ 15.17 Aster (hire of hall 1-7-13)
  • Cheque 1229 ‒ £368.70 Parsons Landscapes Ltd (grass cutting & weeding Sept 2013)
  • Cheque 1230 ‒ £ 42.06 Bristol Wessex Billing Services (water 20-2 to 20-8-13 for burial ground and OQG)
  • Cheque 1231 ‒ £264.00 HMR&C (Clerk’s tax July-Sept 2013)

ii) Receipts:

  • £ 1.62 Bank interest (August 2013)

16. Planning

Applications:

MDC 2013/1149
Construction of a 5.37Mwp solar park with associated works including 2m high boundary deer fence, substation and 5 no inverters(amended layout received
28-8-13, additional info received 3-9-13) at Little Sharpshaw Farm, Marston Bigot for AEE Renewables UK30 Ltd. After discussions it was agreed to reiterate
the Council’s objections on the grounds of the visual impact on a rural environment.

Invitation to comment:

  • MDC 2013/0745
    Retrospective application for the erection of an agricultural building and landscaped bund to north at land adjacent to stables, East Lodge, Marston Bigot for Mr Chris Payne. No comment.
  • MDC 2013/0746
    Retrospective application for the erection of a steel framed storage building at land adjacent to stables, East Lodge, Marston Bigot for Mr Chris Payne. No comment.

Approval:

  • MDC 2013/0987
    Grant of planning permission for erection of new build dwelling subject to a planning obligation to return secondary dwelling to ancillary accommodation for the main house at Hawthorn, Ridgeway for Mr & Mrs Anthony Allom. Note: “Although the site is outside the development limit where development is strictly controlled, the planning obligation to cease use of Hawthorn Cottage as a separate dwelling is a material consideration that means there would be no net increase in the number of dwellings in the area..”.
  • MDC 2013/1622
    Grant of planning permission for two storey side extension and detached garage at 7 Sunny Hill for Mr E Light.

17. Rights of Way
A finger sign is missing on Ridgeway, Mr Allom will investigate. Action: AA.

18. Reports from Committees and Associations
i) Village Hall – Committee meeting 14-10-13.

ii) Nunney School – Mrs Hannam is awaiting CRB check.

iii) NCA – Jazz night in November; Carols in the Castle in December.

19. Items for Next Meeting ‒
Q2 accounts (Clerk); police (SC-D); grit bin for Green Pits Lane (FHan); Nunney Brook (FHay).

20. Date of Next Meeting:
Monday, 4th November 2013 at 7.30pm

The meeting concluded at 9.15pm.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email